Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Valentine's Date With The Gym

The gym on Valentine's Day is like a Match.com mixer. I always joke about how if you're single, you should go to the gym after 6:00 pm on a Friday night. By my estimates, 80% of the people in there at that time are likely single. On Valentine's Day however, I up that estimate to about 95%. It's the perfect opportunity to check out the market without an automatically renewed monthly fee and an inbox full of creepers claiming that you "seem to be a perfect match"...based solely on old college photos and a list of highly edited interests :P ...Needless to say the gym was a total sausage fest tonight and that always makes for a solid (i.e. motivating) workout! I would even venture to say that there is a surplus of single men in Portland right now...the ratio of guys to girls even outside of the weight area was about 9:1!

My energy level is definitely back to normal this week, having adjusted to the latest carb cut and upping my caffeine intake during the day with an extra coffee or green tea in the afternoon. Another reason I was in such high spirits though was probably that I changed my Pandora station to "Hair Bands". I think this is the only station where I have never wanted to skip songs LOL.

Today began day #1 of week #3 of February's scheduled weight training plan which meant chest and triceps. I started today's workout with 30 minutes of running intervals (hence the Pandora). I'm so glad I switched my running days from steady runs to intervals because even at only 1-2 runs/week my knees are already starting to hurt. I think the intervals help prevent the pain from coming on too quickly though, thank god. I do NOT want a repeat of last year's running fiasco! My favourite spin instructor is subbing this Saturday's 9:00 am class so I think I'll renew my spin membership after my 3-week hiatus and that should cut down on the running days.

I've been modifying the scheduled weight training plans more often lately. The more I follow them, the more I feel like they're a crock of shit. Yesterday was legs day and as I was perusing the monthly plan I realized they have me going an entire 30 days without ANY calve work. SERIOUSLY?! I mean, I know 5" stage heels do make your calves look bigger but I'd think you'd still want to work them. Anyway, today I modified several of the scheduled exercises and left feeling like I killed it! Here's the split of my 1/2 CSF - 1/2 Arielle chest & tricep routine:

-Dumbbell chest press on a SB
-Tricep weighted bench dips w/feet on a SB
-Bosu ball 1-leg push-ups
-Cable cross-overs (chest)
-Cable rope push-downs
-Single-arm tricep kick-backs

On a totally unrelated note, yesterday I bought the domain names GymRatConfessions.com and FitFierceFun.com. First step toward my future fitness empire haha! Eventually this blog will be moved to it's own more professional-looking website and all non-blog material will be housed on FitFierceFun as well as my plans for a new business. I'm not sharing that just yet though....thoughts are still in infant stages! I'm actually very surprised that GRC was available given that there are several other blogs (not nearly as good of course!) with similar names. It took me hours however trying to jumble fitness-related words until I found a combination that both sounded good and wasn't either unavailable or on the domain marketplace for an exorbitant fee! So anyway...stay tuned for more on that note...it's all part of my grand plan for life changes in 2013 haha

I'll leave it at that for tonight. My puppy looks like he's bored and I need a Valentine's Day snuggle :)  'Til next time, happy gymming! I hope you all had a LOVEly day! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment