Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Happy Cinco de Mayo! (and a mini lesson on BCAAs)

Buenas Dias mis amigos! Haha I have no idea if that is correct Spanish or not but I'm trying. Also, happy Cindo de Mayo!
I was really hoping that I would not be scheduled to work tonight because as usual my craving for Mexican food is high and how can you not treat yourself when it's Cinco de Mayo?! However I am scheduled to close the store tonight (8:00 pm) and while that may sound early to you, after working a 10-hour shift I'm usually ready to hit the sack by the time I get home. That being said, I wanted to share with you all my simple recipe for BCAA frozen margaritas!

In case you don't know, BCAAs (short for branched-chain amino acids) are the three essential amino acids that your body cannot produce on its own. Therefore, you must consume them in your diet via food and/or supplements. In a nutshell, the 3 BCAAs are Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine. Leucine is the most important and BCAA supplements usually have the ratio of BCAAs printed on the label with 2:1:1 being the minimum recommendation. That means that if you are purchasing a supplement touting a 2:1:1 ratio and a total of 5 grams of total BCAAs then you are getting 2.5 grams of Leucine, 1.25 grams of Isoleucine and 1.25 grams of Valine.

BCAAs are important for many reasons, perhaps the three most important being 1) immune system support 2) protection against amino acid deficiencies and 3) prevention of lean muscle mass loss. You can purchase them in pill or powder form but I prefer the powder because you can find a variety of delicious flavors and I like to drink it while I workout.

So, in honor of this 5th day of May, here is my easy BCAA margarita recipe. In a blender combine the following:
1 scoop BCAA powder (Scivation Xtend Watermelon is great!)
1 cup water
1 oz tequila
Several iced cubes

Once slushy, pour into a margarita class, garnish with a lime wedge & decorative umbrella! I make these all the time sans the tequila when I am cutting and need a post-dinner "treat". My holiday recipe is approximately 70 calories compared to approximately 300 calories at your favorite bar or restaurant. Now that's what you call cheating clean! Enjoy and let me know what you all think! xo

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for informing us. Nutricost BCAA Powder is a premium quality muscle support supplement to help you gain strength, BCAA reduce body fat and increase lean muscle mass

    ReplyDelete