Sunday, May 3, 2015

Rapid Update

Good Morning (again)! I told y'all I'd be back eventually...semester #1 at Miami Dade College was just a wee bit more hectic than I had anticipated :/

While I was out walking Mugsy this morning I got to thinking, I think I'm in a state of mental shock. I mean, I'm just cruising along with life right now, working two jobs, training, dog-mommying, studying, landlording, doing everything I can just to stay afloat and I haven't really had time to sit back and accept the fact that I'M LIVING IN MIAMI. Goodbye career. Goodbye money. Goodbye comfort. Goodbye stability. Goodbye family. Goodbye everything that made me ME for the past decade.

I don't regret moving here but I also haven't had the time or money to get out and explore and figure out if I even fit in here. I do think there are lot more people here that are of the same mindset as me in terms of being fitness/health oriented and willing to leave their former lives to pursue a better future. My classes were full of people from all over the place and I've met a lot of really interesting people. That being said, Miami is an interesting place... On one hand, it is extremely convenient. Everything you could ever want is here and there's really no reason to ever need to leave. However, I learned pretty quickly that people are not to be trusted here. Everyone has their own agenda and there are a LOT of fake people. I also get the impression that there are various illegal activities going on all around me that makes me on edge at all times. I know I'm paranoid but I also know that my gut is usually right. Not that it should have any impact on me so long as I keep to myself and do my own thing. It just makes me skeptical of every person I meet.

Anywayyyy I won't go further into detail on that on this public forum. I don't want to find a bloody horse head in my bed after all! The semester of hell is over and I'm currently on a week-long break before the summer semester begins. I lightened my course load for the summer so that I can work full-time hours and hopefully get better grades. Let's just say that MDC is about 582,305 times harder than SMCC was. I busted my ass all semester long but I have a feeling when grades are released in the next few weeks they aren't going to reflect the effort I put in. I finally found a flexible hourly job doing sales for a nutritional supplement company (perfect for me!) and took on another part-time gig as a personal trainer at a small local studio. However, because of the time commitment required by my course load I was only working between 20-30 hours each week and that hasn't been covering even my basic living expenses. My poor savings account has been rapidly diminishing. Yes, the account that was only supposed to be dipped into for tuition purposes. Ughhhhh Effective last week however I've been able to get full-time hours so I'm praying that when I finalize my May budget I at least break-even. I don't mind having to dip into savings for large expenditures but I need an income that at least covers basic living needs. I don't want to think about the possibility of having to return to corporate hell and give up on my dietitian dreams all because of money.

Money is the root of all evil. Cliche but true.

Anyway, all my issues of the past four months could be put into a novel here but alas this is a fitness blog so I'll leave you with that small life recap for now. At the end of the day I'm still living in Miami, one of the most popular cities in the WORLD. It's sunny, lightly breezy, finally not humid, and mid-80's out today and I hear it was 35 in Portland yesterday morning LOL!

This morning I got up, fueled-up with coffee, freshly squeezed Florida grapefruit juice, and one of my fantastic zucchini muffins (see today's earlier post for recipe) then hit the gym for leg day. My beloved Porky's Gym that I fell in love with last December and purchase the entire year-in-advance when I got here in January was sold to YouFit (the south's version of Planet Fitness) a couple of months ago and even since it's been going downhill. Most of the serious lifters have left and it's just not the motivating iron mecca it once was. I'm tempted to leave myself but I doubt I'll get my money back and like I said, I'm beyond broke so having two gym memberships isn't the best use of my finances. For now, I'm just trying to make the best of it. Being the start of a new month I decided to switch-up my own lifting routine for the next 4 weeks. Usually I do traditional heavy leg exercises on leg day but opted to try out some new moves I saw in a magazine. I felt like I had a good workout but I'm not sure I really pushed hard enough. I focused more on form and went light-weight for safety purposes. If I'm not sore tomorrow then I'll go back to my normal routine next week but sometimes you gotta try something new! Here's the breakdown of today's leg day routine:

-Overhead BB squats 4x10
-Front BB squats 4x10
Superset:
-Cyclist DB squats 4x12 (heels elevated on a plate) with Kettlebell goblet squats 4x12
-Heavy smith machine calf raises 4x15

The overhead squats and front squats were very awkward but I think I just need to get used to them. Give this routine a try and let me know what you think in the comments section below! Anyway, it's lunch time and I'm starved. I promise to try to write more often now that I have a slight breather in my schedule. If there are any fitness or health topics you'd like me to write about please let me know! 'Til next time, happy gymming! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment