Sunday, April 8, 2012

Beer Run

I swear I have my best runs when I'm hungover. After a long night of bowling and beer drinking, all I wanted to do today was sweat out all the toxins I undoubtedly had filled myself with. After an early morning Easter breakfast and short dog hike/swim along the Presumpscot River Trail, I went to World's which happened to be amazingly empty. Not really sure how my body would respond to a run, I decided to take it one mile at a time.  However, somehow I got into a routine with my favourite workout songs playing and a good 6.0 mph steady pace and I did the whole 5k for the first time ever, without stopping, and coming in at 32 minutes. Record breaker!!! I felt sooo good when I was done. I wasn't even as red in the face or as overheated as I usually am. It must have been just the perfect temperature in there today due to the lack of sweaty bodies. Perhaps all that beer also helped to carb-load last night in preparation haha. It's been at least a week since I had a really solid long run so I'm a bit surprised I was able to pull it off. I'm kind of on cloud 9 night now. I think I'll wait a couple of days to give my shins and knees a rest and then attempt it again. Race season here I come!

I decided to skip weights today and ended my workout with some abs and stretching.  For abs I did 4 sets of 20 incline crunches (2 sets forward and 2 sets side to side) and 3 sets of stability ball pushups, kneeling/balancing on the ball in between sets. I have another Easter dinner to go to tonight so I hope all that running burned enough calories to counteract the massive slice of homemade Red Velvet cake I plan on having!

Side note: I have my first fitness shoot for the iPhone app I mentioned before on the 22nd of April. The next two weeks are going to be filled with extremely hard workouts where I really push myself to my max. Don't want to be photographed with a beer gut!

No comments:

Post a Comment