Saturday, January 28, 2012

Good Saturday Mix

Excellent early Saturday morning workout today. It could have gone either way since I felt like I was coming down with a cold yesterday and ended up skipping my workout and everything else for that matter last night. Luckily I woke up refreshed and healthy! I arrived around 8am this morning which is perfect timing because only serious gym goers are there at that time and there are few creepos to bother you. My warmup today was 15 minutes on the elliptical. I knew I'd be going for a long dog-hike this afternoon so didn't want to completely tire myself out that early in the day! I contemplated doing spinning this morning but couldn't find the motivation to give it a try. Maybe tomorrow. If not, then I think tomorrow will be a run day. Sundays seem to be good for that provided I don't do anything crazy the night before!

For weights today I did shoulders. I switched back and forth between shoulders and abs which I like because my shoulders don't tire out as fast. To start, I did three sets of 8 arnold presses on the bosu ball. Then, I did 3 sets of 12 "air-incline" crunches (the ones I described the other day), followed by 3 sets of 12 shrugs on the bosu. Next, I did 4 sets of stability ball crunches (2 front and 2 side-to-side) holding a 25 lb plate to my chest for the first 2 sets and doing v-sits in between sets. The added weight gives me a better burn but it sure makes it difficult to keep my feet from sliding! Lastly, I did 3 sets of 8 pull-ups. I did them on the assisted pull-up machine today because I needed to reduce the weight a bit in order to get full 8-rep sets in. Finally, I did one last thing to round out my workout which was one set of 8 stability ball pushups, kneeling on the ball at the end. Overall, a good mix of cardio/shoulders/abs/stability I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment