Monday, January 30, 2012

Feelin' So Fly...

...like a G6! Pretty much danced/sang that song the whole drive home from World's tonight thanks to the pre-spin class Celcius I downed, despite it tasting like fruit-flavoured piss in a can. I stopped by the gym at 7:30 am this morning on my way to work to be sure that I got a pass for both Jen and I. Got some major flack for trying to buy a pass for someone else but luckily I was able to sweet talk my way into it! I was really put off by the whole "this is the ONLY time I'll make this MAJOR concession for you" attitude but I'll let it slide since the amazingness of the class totally made up for it.

As the day progressed, I was feeling terribly crappy with symptoms reminiscent of the beginning stages of a winter's cold and almost gave my spin pass away but luckily I stuck with it, and now that I'm pumped up with a post-spin adrenaline rush I'm thinking my sickness was more an after effect of the awful 4 hour meeting I had to sit through at work today haha. Now, I'm not an energy drink person at all but given that I wasn't feeling the workout around 5pm this evening I decided to purchase a raspberry acai green tea flavoured celcius (non carbonated!) when I got to the gym. I downed it knowing that I needed the caffeine and my heart is still beating 3 hours later! Not in a bad, "I just had three espressos in 10 minutes" kind of way but more in a "I hope I can get to sleep tonight" kind of way!

When we got to class the instructor helped us newbies get set-up with the correct seat and handle bar height, explained the three positions of spinning, turned on the music (a truly great mix, I might add!), and got us going. Now I understand why the class gets sold out every night, there's only 12 bikes! For some reason I thought there were like 30 in there. However, I'm not quite sure why there weren't more guys. To be perfectly honest, the instructor was gorgeous, and it takes a lot for me to think that about another female, and a blonde no less haha. If I were a single guy I'd be at World's every day when it opened to make sure I had pass #1! Luckily for me, she was wearing a wedding ring. I don't need the competition haha.

Having seen the sweat-drenched ladies come out of class over the past couple of weeks, I tried to pace myself in the beginning so as not to get too steamed up but unfortunately it was inevitable. At first, the room was frigid but the mirrors were covered in a dense fog and the temperature rose about 20 degrees in no time. Someone near me really started to reak half way through class so I think next time I may have to grab a bike by the door so I get some fresher air. I strategically (or so I thought) grabbed a bike in the back which faces the door so I could continue to take in a pleasant and motivating view haha!

I thought the class was overall a great mix of high-medium-low intensity, choreographed well to the music, and very motivating. I think my favourite position is 1st (standing upright) with 3rd coming in a close second place (standing bent forward). 2nd (sitting bent forward) really hurt my crotch and gave me a terrible wedgie so I must either buy some of those hideous padded biker's shorts or else sit on a folded-over towel next time!

Anyway, at the rate my energy level is at right now, I could probably write another 50 paragraphs but I'll stop short because the bachelor is on and the girls are dwindling down enough that its started to get good. All in all though, great workout tonight. It feels so good to switch up the day-to-day routine. Thankfully I can't make it to the gym tomorrow, because I can already tell that my quads are going to be mad at me tomorrow. I can't believe I am saying this but when I have to renew my annual World's membership later this week, I may have to purchase a spinning membership on top of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment